Major General, Ernest N. Harmon
Patton's Third Army continued to be part of the XXII Corps to
which Major General Ernest N. Harmon, XXII Corps headquarters was located in
General George S. Patton and General Ernest N. Harmon were the best of friend and would spent their last holiday together between August 10th thru 12th, and would spend it on a farm in Borek u Tachova, for this would be General Patton last vacation as the 3rd Army Commander.
General George S. Patton
PRESENTED TO THE COMMUNITY OF DÝŠINA BY MAJOR GENERAL ERNEST N.HARMON COMMANDING GENERAL
XXII CORPS, UNITED STATES ARMY
The original plaque that was given by General Harmon to the community of Dýšina is affixed to the wall of the mayor office in Dýšina .
The plaque was made from melted down German howitzer shell casings.
Major General Ernest N. Harmon, XXII Corps Commander
The Plaque that is placed on this memorial was reproduced by the armature company in Dýšina in 1990.
The Czech citizens of Dýšina had an intense love for General Harmon.
During the communist era all plaques and monuments were destroyed , with the exception of one that survived being that of the 1st Infantry Division, that was hidden behind some trees behind the airfield in Cheb.
When people of Dýšina learned that the communist was destroying all
these memorials and monuments left by there liberators the
General Ernest Nason Harmon who was known to many as "Gravel
Voice" born the 26th of February
He saw action in the St. Mihiel
and Muese-Argonne operations. He was promoted to permanent captain in Aug.
1920, an graduated from the
From 1927 to 1931 he taught
military tactics at
It was a newly organized corps
and Gen. Adna R. Chaffee was heading this force at
He led an advance part of the
2nd Armored Division in the landing in French Morocco in November 1942 and then
on into Tunisia. April of 1943 took command of the 1st Armored Div. and was
assigned to the VI Corp's, which was under the command of Gen. John P. Lucas.
On 9 Sept. 1943 took part in the landing as a part of Gen. Mark Clark's 5th
In Jan. 1944 the 1st moved to
the beachhead at Anzio under the VI Corp's and in May 1944 led the breakout to
form the beachhead. The 1st Armored was the first division to cross the
Gen. Harmon showed
extraordinary perception of what enemy movements might mean and the ability to
make immediate adjustments in the alignment of his available units to out
maneuver the German panzer divisions, along with their infantry. At times
having other units that were not attached the 2nd Armored to assist him, and
some just simply refused, others would help him. Then in late at night at 2350
on 21 December of 1944 the 2nd Armored Division was ordered to travel overnight
Then later in January 1945 he
was named Commander of the XX ll Corps which in April
1945 had control of the northern part of the
General Harmon on his arrival to Rokycany for the Liberation celebrations being held by the citizens of Rokycany.
General Harmon was noted for
giving medals to soldiers of the Russian Red army for their involvement in
helping to liberate
94th Infantry Division
The 94th division was transferred back to General Patton's third Army but continued to be part of the XXII Corps.
The 94th's new assignment came
on the morning of March 28th. The 94th was transferred to the newly established
XXII Corps attached to the Fifteenth Army. On March 30-31 the troops began
boarding trucks and trains for the trip north. The XXII Corps was under the
Command of Major General Earnest N. Harmon . Their
primary mission was to man roadblocks separating the zones of occupation
between the Americans and the troops of the
When the 94th arrived to
administer military authority they found the Czech people very friendly and
cooperative unlike those encountered in
Throughout the summer the duties of the 94th consisted mostly of processing German POW's and monitoring the Russian American border. There were many instances of the Russians infiltrating the American zone and these troops were repatriated back to their zone.
On September 6,7, and 8th the division sent the remaining men of the 94th to the
94th Infantry Division
military police escorting the division across
Members of the 94th taking pictures around the area of Charles bridge
Members of the 94th Infantry Division marching in liberations celebrations across Charles bridge in Prague
In February 1946 he took
command of the VI Corp's in Germany, which developed into a military police
force known as the U.S. Constabulary (was designated this in May 1946). This
force was responsible for the entire
Gen. Harmon retired in March
1948 to where he was named as President of Norwich University in 1950, and served
there until 1965. He retired to
This Website is protected by
copyright as a collective work or compilation under